Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Not So Equal

You know it, I know it...There are endless opening ideas in chess. This is great news!

But look, my idea has nothing to do with exploring the endless variations in the Dragon Sicilian, Najdorf, or even the Ruy Lopez. Instead, I'd rather offer some interesting discussion about the presumed (=) openings that maybe aren't so (=).

A far underrated factor in chess is the principle of surprise value. Not only that, but all that comes with it, namely:

  • Time advantage
  • Familiar turf (pattern recognition)
  • Psychological factors
  • Physio-response (blood pressure, autonomic nervous response..etc)
Over 18 years I have studied on and off with several GrandMasters, International Masters and other notable masters of chess. I have had the priveledge of teaching youngsters in schools and privately for 10 years, thankfully. Whatever the reason (time, interest, family, oppositional defiance!) I have never been a full fledged theory kind of guy in the opening, but I don't reject the value either. So this log is born from the idea that in chess, and especially blitz, the ideas that objective equality result in equality are challenged.

My hope is to examine openings that present real challenges, despite their computer "score." I hope you will enjoy and add to the discussion!

1 comment:

Eddie van der Walt said...

I completely get you here, I know that to get the most out of my chess in the next few years I will have to do some opening studies, but I also know that slightly unorthodox openings can throw my learned opponents off balance, giving me precious extra minutes.

It has worked for me in the past and it will in the future.

Up with unorthodoxy!